Monday, March 16, 2015

Why I am Post-Reformed

Reformed theology fails not so much because its teachings are wrong, but because its adherents refuse to listen before speaking.  The tradition often insists on the definition of certain terms and thus cannot understand positions it critiques.

It cannot understand Dietrich Bonhoeffer, because the reformed faith cannot be bothered to understand what Bonhoeffer means by "the will of God."

The reformed church has a great deal to offer to the world.  But it must take the time to listen first and speak less.

God is not gloried by many words, but by few words with great listening.  The reformed church cannot lead before it learns to listen.

I have always considered myself reformed, but have left the reformed church because I have always been talked over.  The reformed church has usually critiqued before listening and often not even understood what has been critiqued.

I suppose I consider myself post-reformed.  I agree with the reformed method of theology, but cannot agree with the spirit in which the theology is done.

No comments: