Some pondering on how we would live differently if we really understood that, "All things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose."
1) This should be a source of major comfort to us in times of
trials. If it isn't it is a sign that we need our relationship
with God and the way we think about him mended.
2) We would have a way to really comfort our fellow brothers and
sisters in Christ who are suffering. Something that goes past,
"Oh I'm sorry... or That Sucks..." It adds something deep and
bring the focus back to God where it should be in the first
place. It gives real comfort if taken to heart by one who loves
God loves and is loved by God.
3) It should be a source for great risk taking. If all things
work together for my God why shouldn't I say a loving, but very hard
thing for a person to hear, it indeed it is something that should be
said. If relationships are shatter or friendships weakened, or
money given away it is for our good. You could argue that if
relationships are made firm or kept safe, and if we hoard money or just
guard the little we have then it also works for our good. I think
its safe to answer like Paul here. Shall we not take risks for
the kingdom of heaven so that God will work them for our good.
May it never be.
4) We should wish for others to see the brilliance of this truth and
tell others not to just settle with this one promise but to search high
and low and far and wide to learn and savor the many additional
promises that flow from the beauty of God.
5) We should remember this promise and turn our hearts to thank God at all times and in all situations for his goodness to us.
6) Our love for God would be greatly increased. If we really took
it to heart that everything worked together for our good we would be
filled with awe at the awesome wisdom and power of God. Today I
was filled with that wonder as I accidently dropped a peanut butter
filled cracker and spent a while mashing it around on the floor
(without realizing it only to have to clean up the mess) Yes mashed
peanut butter and cracker bits all over the bottom of my shoe and all
over the floor is working for my good and I remember it!
7) We would be more conscious in our effort to try to make everything
work for the maximum good possible. If we focus on that
everything works for our good and focus on God we will want to work
everything for as much good as possible.
A lot more but lunch time is over...