Monday, October 6, 2014

Respect and Helping Others

Often to really help others we must first take the attitude to respect them whatever they have to say.  I remember some time ago a conversation where I was able to help a grad student think through an issue that had puzzled for a decent amount of time.

The irony of the situation is that I was one of the last people who the student turned to.  She had asked many other people their opinions before me.  Why was I able to help?  Was I more qualified to answer the questions than others?

In fact I was far less qualified to answer the questions than the people she asked first.  But the reason the others failed was that they were quicker to judge others and thus less open to be trusted.  You see the student's theoretical questions were not really theoretical but practical based upon real life.

The whole point of the story is that quality ministry requires a non-judgmental spirit.  You see with Jesus' ministry that he often reached out to many people that others would not reach out to.

In an interesting sense Jesus often opposed many people that others would not.  I believe the difference is the sincerity of the asker of the questions.  You see the sincerity of all parties is important for dialogue.  Not all people who ask questions seek truth.

No comments: